Monday, April 30, 2012

I've had the great pleasure to take a Photography on Location class with Tom Paiva, an architectural photographer with many, many years of experience.  His website and blog is located at tompaiva.com.  Please check out his site and see the incredible work he does. 

One of the assignments was to shoot at night in an industrial area looking for mixes of lighting of different color temperatures.  You can see this when one light appears to be white while another one may show up as a yellow light or a range of other colors.  I went one night down to the industrial area in Long Beach near the refineries and railroads with a friend.  If you want to try this, I strongly suggest going with one or more people, because these areas are dark and dangerous.  I was nervous as heck, but I was able to capture several images I was happy with.

Because it was so dark, the exposure times on these images were from approximately 30 seconds up to one minute for the bottom image where I had to boost up the ISO to 1000 because it almost pitch black.  This has been such an eye-opening experience into all sorts of photography that I'd only seen but never knew how to create!




No comments:

Post a Comment