Tuesday, July 17, 2012


"In the Park."

This is part of the park series I started but let go.  This particular image I worked with and turned it into a tintype photograph.

One of my favorite ways of creating my photography is printing my images on tintype. 

The original method of creating tintypes  in the 1800's and is still being used today was to coat the tins in a wet solution  where silver halide crystals are suspended in a collodion emulsion that is chemically reduced to crystals of metallic silver.  Then the tins are put into light-sealed holders, placed into large format cameras, the image is taken, and the tins are taken back into the darkroom and developed -- all while the tins remain wet. 

Since I don't have access to the type of camera needed, chemicals necessary to complete this process -- which are also extremely toxic -- I am using an alternative "dry plate" method of creating my tins.  In the darkroom I take the uncoated tin and coat it with a emulsion solution that has been heated to take on a syrupy consistency,  Then these tins are dried in light-sealed containers. 

Once I'm ready to create an image, I use an image I have taken on my digital camera, I print a "positive" negative the actual size on photographic transparency paper, place the negative on the tin and create a contact print.  Then I go through the usual developing and fixing methods.

When I was in school and using the laboratory equipment, this was fairly easily done.  But since I don't have access to this type of equipment at home, I am developing my own techniques of working with this medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment