Monday, September 3, 2012

Alternative tintype.


Lea. 

I've been working through the issues of creating tintype images here at home without the benefit of working in a regular darkroom.  I think I'm getting closer to making this technique work.  At the same time I'm working on putting the tintype technique with the right photographic project.

The process I'm currently using is not the original wet-plate method of creating tintypes.  I'm using an alternative emulsion, AG-Plus and creating contact prints from digital images.  However, I'm working out a way to be able to shoot the tins in-camera and create one-of-a-kind photographs.  And ultimately my goal is to learn the wet-plate technique.

My tintype process is a very time-consuming process getting the tins ready to hold the special emulsion, coating the tins with the emulsion,  letting them dry sufficiently to be usable, and then going through the printing process.  Because of that, final images will be slower in coming than being able to turn photographs out in the current digital age.  But I love this medium so much, I don't mind working slowly and methodically to achieve the results I'm looking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment